Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Freedom Morning

It wasn't what I envisioned.

I envisioned finding a good parking spot close to the start line of the Freedom Run.
...all the roads to get anywhere were already blocked.
I envisioned getting there in plenty of time to stretch and find my running buddies (maybe even use the bathroom).
...I was dropped off a few blocks away and was running against the flow of runners to make it to the starting line.
I envisioned my shin splints and hip throbbing with every step.
...they didn't start hurting til after the race.
I envisioned running along side my husband and kids.
...they caught up to me on the last uphill stretch after sprinting past everyone.




I envisioned having to walk some of it.
...I didn't walk (except at the water station - and that was a welcome break!)
I envisioned passing out at the finish.
...Nah, I was fine - just sweaty.

Some of the girls from stake aerobics.
Paige and Ashby rode their scooters while Brian pushed the little ones.

I envisioned heading out to find a spot on the parade.
...we stayed and played on the playground instead.


I envisioned watching the whole parade.
...It took us a long time to walk from Kiwanis park all the way to the University Ave. But it took us past the parade staging area, where we looked at all the parade floats up close - even better than just watching the parade!


Paige loved seeing all the princesses.

1944 Hellcat tank destroyer


I envisioned a nice shady spot on the parade route.
...that, of course, is hard to come by. We crowded in on the sunny sidewalk next to a large group. Eventually they unroped the large grassy spot they had saved earlier that was COMPLETELY empty. They even let us use their umbrellas and camping chairs. SO NICE!
 I envisioned Cody sleeping in the stroller through most of it.
...He didn't




I envisioned a nice long nap at home for me afterward.
...Ya Right!

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!!


3 comments:

Unknown said...

WAY TO GO!!! We had our usual Independence Day Brunch at my mom's house after the race. I think we had a full dozen runner this year! (Of which I was not included, lol). I envisioned having a nice family holiday -- and instead Michael is at work cranking out a project that he's been killing himself on for a couple of weeks now. Don't know if we'll see him before we give in and light up charcoal briquettes in terracotta pots (via Pinterest, of course) for a low key celebration.

Tina said...

What a great morning non the less! I'm so impressed with your kids and how much they do. I envisioned them not complaining and having smiles on their faces all day long... am I right?!

Tasha said...

You are looking mighty fine from the behind Tar! :)