Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine Surprises

We sent the kids on a treasure hunt to uncover their Valentine surprises.
My mom would always send us on treasure hunts with really hard and clever clues. Well, my kids aren't quite at that stage yet, so we had a picture hunt. We took close-up pictures of different places around the house and the kids had to figure out what it was.

They started in their room and headed for this spot.



The inside of the toy kitchen.
Inside revealed some Hershey kisses and the next picture clue.




This is one of Levi's favorite hiding spots, behind the brown chair in the piano room.
There Levi found a fun pop-up peek-a-boo toy, and the next clue.



The bookshelf in Levi's room.
More Hershey kisses and the next clue.



The hallway closet.
Ashby's present - a dog Pillow Pet.



The paper drawers in the craft closet.
More Hershey kisses and another picture.



The linen closet.
Paige's present - a ladybug pillow pet.

Ahhhh...Pillow Pets. The kids have been drooling over them since the first time they laid eyes on them. It was hard to justify, but I just knew how excited they would be. So we bought them, and tried not to think about it again.

After a good while of playing with the new toys, Brian gave the kids one more picture clue that had been hiding in his pocket...



This was the hardest picture for them to decipher. Paige especially looked all around the room, and even when I stood right next to her, she still couldn't get it.
Eventually she saw that it was my shirt and after I rubbed my belly a few times she said, "Are you pregnant?" What? I didn't even know she knew that word. I laughed so hard and she got all embarrassed. But once we told her and Ashby more about it, they were so super excited. And the first thing Paige said was, "And I will be such a big helper." Hooray!

[note: my belly is not really that pregnant, but Brian made me stick it out for the picture].

So, now you all know our big Valentine surprise!
Due sometime at the end of the summer. Ultrasound next week, so we'll keep you posted.

Happy Valentine's Day. I hope it was filled with lots of happy surprises as well!!

12 comments:

Deanna said...

Congratulations!!! So exciting! Number 4 - glad the first one said she's going to be a big helper! Too bad she'll be in school and not around when you need her the most. Can't wait to hear what you're expecting. Are you finding out? Fun Fun!!

Olivia Justine said...

yea! you know you made a very vague comment not too long ago either on this blog or the family blog that kind of made me wonder...:) you are good at keeping secrets miss tara. i cannot believe you are already up to four. more power to you and brian! and good luck. going from three to four was my hardest transition -- it was the first time i cried when devan went back to work and my parents went home. you're going to leave me to do this all by myself? but it's amazing how God can make you equal to the task. you are in our prayers for sure!

Buell Fam said...

Congratulations!! How exciting. And the picture hunt was a super cute idea.

Oh and I also keep meaning to tell you that your conversation heart singing time was such a cute idea.

Kristy said...

Yay! That's so exciting for you guys! I'm sure that Paige will be a great helper. And I love the little treasure hunt. Too fun! My dad used to do that with us too, but I haven't been so good to keep the tradition alive. Maybe we'll have to try it sometime. And as far as pillow pets go, my girls have been begging for them too. Santa was too kind and brought them a unicorn and penguin at Christmas. But Spencer wasn't going to be left out and used the money that he got from his great-grandma for Christmas to buy the bumblebee. They totally love them.

Anyways, I hope that you guys are well and that you're feeling well! Congrats again!

The Wizzle said...

Oh, congratulations! That's a fun way to tell them. I was never any good t keeping secrets - I always just told as soon as I knew!

~aileen~jaron~ said...

so fun! your picture surprized me tooooo... at least i got it this time, unlike the pasta picture of last time :) Hey SUPER congrates! soooo awesome! miss you!

Jenni said...

Woot woot! That is amazing Tara! I am happy for you guys. You sure are going to be busy! :) I am guessing.....girl. :)

Tina said...

Wahooooo!!!! What a fabulous way to tell the kids. We couldn't wait that long since I was so sick... and so excited too!!! You definitely made me smile at the thought of all those clues and the best surprise left at the end. I'll have to remember that next Valentine's Day (well, to find their gifts, not to announce anything...) My kids love pillow pets too but I too hate the price. Someday... A HUGE congrats from our family to yours!!!!

Tasha said...

So cool Tar! I love the picture scavenger hunt. We just did clues, but I'll remember that idea for next time. And that is a super fun way to tell the kids. Congrats again and again!

Anonymous said...

Very exciting news! What a great way to tell the kids.


Kendra

Unknown said...

:D

aubrie said...

What a clever idea of how to tell the kids! Congratulations on the new baby, that is so exciting!