Sunday, June 12, 2011

Summerfest Fun

This weekend was the annual Orem Summerfest. Ever since we lived across the street from it 5 years ago, we have always make it a highlight of our summer. This year it was on the top of the kids' list of things to do this summer.

Tasha's family even drove down from Clearfield to spend the weekend with us. Tasha informed me that all the rides at the Summerfest are the cheapest she's ever seen. In fact they have taped paper over the original ticket plates. Instead of 4 tickets, rides were 2 tickets. I can't imagine having to pay that much. Guess I'll stop complaining about it.


I told the kids they could go on 3 rides. But then they did some "money chores" earlier in the week and, of course, wanted to spend it on more rides.

Paige's rides: Swings, Ferris Wheel, Spinning Strawberries, Obstacle Course



This was the first year Levi got to go on rides. We probably should have saved our money cause he wasn't really that interested. We tried several different rides, but he just cried.
Levi's rides: Race cars and Boats

Ashby's rides: Space Rockets, Ferris Wheel, Giant Slide, Spinning Strawberries and Boats (he took Levi's last ticket so Levi would have someone to sit by).

The parade was Saturday evening. I set out a tarp on Thursday and staked it down. We arrived at the parade about an hour before start time with all our snacks and chairs in hand. When we got to our spot, our green tarp was not to be found. Well, I did find it crumpled up on the side. I couldn't believe it! I asked the people around me, "Who's stuff is this?" pointing to the blankets set in our spot. Nobody knew. I hate confrontation, I hate being difficult. Usually I think I'd say I'm a pushover because I just don't care enough to fight. Maybe its pregnancy, but I did not want to put up with it. I said, "Well I guess I can play that game." And I took the blanket and crumpled it up on the side to make room for our stuff. The amazing thing was that I found OUR stakes being used in the corners of the offending blanket. Now that seems very deliberate to me! You have to know those are not your stakes! Plus the stakes got totally bent up and our tarp was ripped. Ugh! Why can't people just be more considerate? Unbelievable.
Well, we made ourselves comfortable - but, always wondering who around us thought we were the bad guys. Part way through the parade I saw somebody come pick up their blanket, but they didn't say anything. Too bad, 'cause I was actually ready to stick up for myself this time.

Brian surprised Tasha and me by bringing candles and doughnut holes. He set it up during the fireworks and the kids sang "Happy Birthday" to us. Tasha and I are turning 30 on Wednesday, but this was the time we would actually be together. That was very thoughtful Brian! Thanks for the surprise!

4 comments:

~aileen~jaron~ said...

so did the cake actually catch fire with the actual amount of 30 candels on it....? Glad you were ready to go all postal on your Tarp/Stake stealer...needed to be done. This actually makes me miss Utah quite a bit! love you and Happy early birthday!!!

Rootbeer Floats said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Can't believe we are all turning 30 now. I didn't know what your current e-mail is - so figured this would be a good way to reach you. Hope you have a great birthday!

Tara said...

my email address is blumerta@gmail.com

Susie Faye said...

ha ha! i loved that tarp story! go tar! i really wish i could've seen you guys that day..or when tanya was here. hope you had a gr8 berfday at 7 peaks with paige!