Sunday, March 18, 2012

Rex Lee Run

Last weekend I ran my second ever 5k. It was a family event,
so I was mostly planning to stay
with the kids, but after the uphill, I started running and didn't feel like stopping. There's room for much improvement, but considering I hadn't done any training, it felt pretty good.

Earlier in the week Brian's family got word that their Dad was diagnosed with advanced stages of pancreatic cancer. It was quite a shock.

Although most of the family is far away from his folks in California they rallied together to find ways to support him.


There were late night gatherings, Granddad's favorite cookie making party, trips to the store and frozen yogurt, and a decision to run in the Rex Lee Run at BYU (which is a cancer fundraiser race).


Brian's sisters worked really hard to make everyone matching t-shirts for the race.
Its a replica of a shirt their dad, Will, had when they were kids. "Where there's a Will, there's a Way." Very appropriate under the circumstances. And so fun to all match.


I think its really cool to watch them all come together and support each other during this
difficult time.

2 comments:

Tanya Leigh said...

Oh, my goodness. Well, I'll be praying for him. What a neat family activity, and what a perfect shirt!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about Brian's dad. Cancer is not my favorite right now. :/

The shirts are just so sweet, and I love that they came together to support and honor him. That's a beautiful family!