Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Bake Sale


We've been waiting for a good day to hold a bake sale on the corner of our house (accounting for weather, school schedule, baking ingredients and ambition). So last week I finally committed to the kids and made it happen (even though today turned out to be a pretty busy day). Everything worked out and I made sure to be dressed to sweat - I'm always in a better mood when I know I'm going to be sweaty and stinky, than when I try to look cute and end up being sweaty and stinky.


The kids helped me pick out 3 things from Pinterest that they thought looked good:
Avalanche Bars (my personal favorite)
HolyCrapTheseAreAmazing Cookies
Applesauce Cookies with Caramel Frosting

Ashby and I got everything set up while Paige was at school. And then we sat and waited for the school bell to ring and for customers to appear. I encouraged Ashby to go out to the sidewalk and wave at people and call out about the bake sale. No matter what though, he would not do it.

He is very different than his sister...

 I was glad when Paige got home from school. Our corner was not so quiet anymore. Yet, it took quite a while for anybody to actually come to our bake sale table. Mostly because they ended up walking home, getting money and then coming back.


  There was quite a crowd for a time. They were all very nice and I think they enjoyed the goodies. Some of the girls even helped me as a store clerk. They also helped me clean up everything (they earned an extra cookie!).

So...the loot?  $21.25
Mostly in coins. I'm not sure where it all came from. It didn't seem like we sold that much stuff, but I guess it was worth it.

I had fun, the kids had fun and it was a good learning experience.

2 comments:

Tina said...

Oh my goodness, that is such a great idea. Our little street is so quiet. I don't know if we'd get much response but then again, it's mostly older people that stay inside because of the weather. Great job. Did you spend the money on anything fun?

Tara said...

I told the kids we would use the money for things like the Summerfest or other fun activities this summer. :)