Saturday, May 12, 2012

Great Expectations

What is it about Mother's Day that gives me the expectation that I shouldn't have to do anything about being a mom?

Let me sleep in.

Skip the 4am feeding.

Bring me breakfast in bed.

Hand over the diaper changing.

Hand over the crying baby.

Hand over the discipline.

Let me wear headphones all day so I can't hear any whining or fighting.

Let me nap all afternoon.

Make me dinner in a freshly mopped kitchen.

Wash the dishes and wipe the counters.

Rub my feet and shoulders as if I've had the worst day ever... 

Just give me the beautiful, happy, obedient children that will sit on my lap and give me a big hug. Have them sit by me, smiling while I read them stories and kiss me on the cheek when I'm done. Give me the kids that will cuddle up while I stroke their hair and scratch their backs. Then I'll send them off to bed and be done for the day.

Wonderful illusions.

I guess what I'm really hoping for from Mother's Day is just one day where I won't have to get after anyone...or (maybe) a day that is secretly miserable for everyone else just so they can appreciate me more openly.  ;)

1 comment:

Tasha said...

Amen! 100 % agree!
Happy Mother's Day Tar.
I hope all your dreams come true. :)