Thursday, January 17, 2013

Simple life

I live the simple life.

For over a year I haven't had a car. I can have a car if I need to by taking Brian to work. But that requires waking up all the kids early, and that's not so simple. So, instead, we stay at home. No errands, no shopping, no grand adventures, library trips or museums. Just simplicity.

Each morning I get Paige ready for school. It only takes her 15 minutes to get out the door, so I usually push snooze on my 7:20 alarm until it says 7:45 and she catches a ride with some friends. Simple. The rest of the kids don't wake up until around 9. Simple. We work out at the church down the street. Simple - unless its 5 degrees and we have to find a ride. Then I try to get the dishes done and we eat lunch and play until Ashby goes to kindergarten at noon. Simple. We usually walk him the couple blocks to school. Simple - unless its 5 degrees outside and I have bundle everyone up in a million layers and push the stroller through 4 inches of snow because people don't shovel their sidewalk.  Cody naps from noon to 3 and Levi naps from 12:30-3. Simple. Lately Levi will only stay in bed if I lay in the LoveSac next to him. Simple - unless I think about all the hundreds of things I could be getting done during nap time. But then I realize the thing I would most want to do is take a nap anyway. So I cozy in beside him and sleep until the big kids get home from school. Paige picks up Ashby from his class and they walk home together. Simple. We don't usually have after school activities. I try to teach piano at home, no dance classes, no sports. Simple. By the time I've looked through the kids' backpacks and started them on homework, its time to make dinner. We're usually eating by 5:30 (Sometimes we don't even wait for Brian to get home because the kids and I are ready for something new). Simple. Occasionally there are evening church activities, but usually we try to get some chores crossed off, watch a show or play a game, read scriptures, and take baths before bed. Pretty simple - not always easy, but simple enough. Bedtime comes (not soon enough) at 7 for Cody and 8:30 for the other kids. Then I sit and relax and look around at all the things that didn't get done that day and make plans to do them tomorrow, even if I know it probably won't happen.

That's it. That's my boring simple life.

You can decide if you feel sorry for me, or if you are jealous of me. I'm still deciding, too. 

1 comment:

Tina said...

I feel both for you. Sorry that you don't have a car and that freedom it provides but I'm also jealous. I don't remember the last time I napped on a school day or just layed around in my p.j's. I'm also super jealous that your other kids don't wake up until 9:00. My kids are up and at em around 6:30. I feel stressed almost every day with all of my responsibilities and going here and there so yes, I'm super jealous. Living the simple life is awesome!!!!