Sunday, June 27, 2010

I did it!

I went back to school and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be! For the past 9 weeks I've been taking a Physical Science class in the evenings at UVU. I worked really hard at it and every spare minute was set aside to studying. I had to read about 3 or 4 chapters before each class session, be ready to take a quiz, and turn in homework for each chapter. It was hard to cram all of that in to my life. I've never gone to school with kids at home before, and a lot of things fell by the wayside - like cleaning the house. But that was okay. For the most part I felt like I kept things under control.

I loved being back in the classroom setting. My teacher was commenting how his evening section did so much better on tests and contributing intelligent comments in class than his morning section. I think it is because, if you have to take an evening class you've already had to re-prioritize and commit to something that doesn't normally fit into your life - so you are more dedicated. At least that is how I felt.

I had my comprehensive final last Wednesday - the last day of class and I was excited to be done. But I had a conflict because my softball team was playing a game at the same time and they were going to be short some players. I told them I would get there as soon as I was done with my final. I knew I needed to take the test really fast which meant I needed to really know the material. I studied for several hours and felt pretty confident about most things. I took the 100 question final in 8 minutes, handed it in to a bewildered professor and bolted to my softball game, all the while wondering how many stupid mistakes I made going so fast. Turns out my team found enough substitutes and they didn't really need me after all. But the great thing was that I hit a long fly ball over the center fielder's head and scored a home run. After we won the game, I raced back to class to see if the teacher was still there because he said he would be grading exams that night. I sat and watched while he graded my test. I couldn't believe it...he couldn't believe it...100%. He said in five courses he has taught, no one had ever gotten a perfect score. Wow! Maybe going fast is good because you can't second-guess yourself. I was on Cloud Nine. And to celebrate I folded the four loads of laundry waiting in the basket and mowed the lawn. :-)

5 comments:

Kristy said...

All I have to say is: Wow! You're my hero! Congrats!

Tasha said...

Oh Wow Tara! That actually made me tear up! You are amazing! That is absolutely incredible. I am so proud of you!!!!! (I'm talking about the home run of course - just kidding!) Way to go! What course are you taking next?

Unknown said...

Way to go Tara!!! I'm jealous. 100% is a huge deal! And with three kids...you are amazing!!

Emily said...

You go girl!

Tina said...

What a story!! One for the ages!! I love how you folded laundry and mowed the lawn to celebrate. I think you deserve ice cream and a night away with Brian!!! You are so inspiring!!!