Monday, August 23, 2010

Rumor is I'll stick with Swiffer

Today was deep clean day.

I am starting classes at UVU this week and I know I will have very little time to get things done around the house now. I can usually keep the house tidy and picked up, but I would never call it clean. So I took some time today to actually do something about all the things that I notice needing to be done. One of those things was to mop the floor.

I have never been very good at mopping, or about mopping. Growing up my mom had carpet everywhere in the house, so we just vacuumed everything. My husband had to teach me how to mop, but I don't get it. How does mopping get anything clean? Sure the big spots disappear, but mostly all the dirt just gets spread around. It doesn't make sense to me. To help me with my aversion to mopping I have been using the Swiffer mop with the wet cleaning pads. I knew it was the only way I would actually be getting my floors clean, because Brian is the only one that pulls out the big mop and bucket. I've always felt like I was cheating, but at least the Swiffer is something.

This time, however, I got on my hands and knees with special cleaner and a big wet towel - guess I was feeling ambitious today. I scrubbed and scrubbed, but all I have to show for it is red knees. My floor still looks as dirty as it does when I use the Swiffer (maybe its just the color of the tile). Therefore, I will be sticking with my Swiffer method - who cares if its cheating. At least its easy.

4 comments:

Tasha said...

I'm a swiffer girl too. Guess we come from the same non-mopping family. :) My usual method is just to "skate" along the floor with a wet paper towel under each foot. I am totally non-ambitious!

Unknown said...

We used to use a Swiffer. We have TONS of hard floors in our house, though. So it was really $$$$ to keep up with it. Instead I went to a commercial cleaning supply place and bought a nice broom which also works as a mop. It wasn't cheap, but it's wonderful and should last forever. In fact, it's the same kind they use at the hospital! They sold me a super cheap huge bottle of floor cleaner and told me about how to get my floors the cleanest. We still hand scrub the worst spots but the mop where the pad tosses in the washing machine is great most of the time. Mostly I just feel good if all the junk is off the floor so we don't trip on it all :")

Anonymous said...

Growing up we used a rag mop...I hated it! I got a swiffer, and loved it, but the pads kept coming off--very frustrating. Now I just use a sponge mop and a bucket. It seems to do the job.

Kendra

Emily said...

We used to be a swiffer family until the swiffer stopped swiffing. Now we are a boring mop family. We got the cool kind that twists up to get all the water out. I don't know why but I really like that feature.

I love your blog, Tara. You always know just what to write about and you inspire me to be more myself, if that makes any sense. You are an honest writer. I'm so glad you took the plunge. (but how could you not, with a name like Blumer Rumor??? You were born to Rumor. Well, after you got married. Porters were born to report.)