Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Rumor is I'm a baker

I recently learned how to bake bread. It started out as a personal progress goal and I provided homemade bread for the sacrament for a month. That was something I remember a girl in my ward growing up did for her personal progress and I thought it was the most awesomest thing. I had since tried, unsuccessfully, to convince some of our young women to do it, and then realized I could do it. I was pretty nervous to commit to something like that because I've never even attempted to bake bread, and I'd heard about all kinds trouble with bread-making, so I didn't think I could do it. But my friend gave me a fool-proof recipe and I had perfectly delicious bread from the very first batch. I've continued to bake bread, but it never lasts. I usually bake three loaves at a time. My family and I eat almost an entire loaf fresh out of the oven, and I give away the other two to friends and neighbors for different reasons while the bread is still warm. After all, homemade bread just isn't the same if its not fresh from the oven.

6 comments:

Alisha said...

I sure love it when you brought it over here! And sad that I didn't know it was from you until it was all gone, husbands ;)

Anyway, it was really good!!

Tina said...

Yummy! What recipe do you use? You should post it or at least email me with it!
I've tried it once and never again since. It always seems like a daunting task to me.

Tasha said...

Tara - will you add the recipe you use to this post? I've been wanting a copy and I bet others would love it too. Plus it would be nice to just always know where to go for the recipe - your blog! :)

Olivia Justine said...

i agree. post it. i have a great one for wheat bread, but it yields 5 loaves. i'd love another one that yields only 3. plus, how did you get these to fall in the middle like that? did you push them down before baking or something? do tell.

Tara said...

I make this bread with half wheat and half white flour. I tried to do more wheat, but it got too dry. Tasha gave me the idea for the heart-shaped loaves. Before shaping the loaves I roll out the dough into a rectangle and fold it into thirds before plopping it into the pan. It looks kind of weird on the outside, but when you cut it, it looks just like something from the store.

Tara said...

Sorry, I checked with my friend about posting her recipe and she preferred not (family secret...shhhh).