Thursday, May 6, 2010

Back to School

It has been six years since I graduated from BYU. I didn't know how strange I would feel about leaving that part of my life - 23 years of school and then suddenly nothing. I really had to work to redefine myself, especially since I always loved school and I loved being a student. It was a weird process, but I have still really missed school. The other week when I went to take Paige for Kindergarten registration I walked through the halls of the school and longed to be there again. I also saw the teachers chatting amongst themselves outside their classrooms and I imagined I was one of them.

I got my degree in Biology Education so I could teach high school someday. I hope that day happens because I think it will be so fun. I have a teaching certificate but since it has been 6 years and I haven't taught I need to do something to keep myself certified. So I decided to go back to school. If I take a certain number of college courses I can re-certify, and since Brian works at UVU so I get free tuition, and my kids are at a stage when I can leave them for a while, this is my chance to do something.

I signed up for Physical Science 1000. It will be a good class to get me thinking about science again. This class will be really good for me because, although I loved my science classes and I did somewhat well in them, I know that I never really really understood everything. My student success came from being a good memorizer and knowing how to spout out what the teacher wanted me to - not because I knew what was going on. I especially don't really understand physics and chemistry, and guess what...That is totally what this class will be about. So I really want to learn the right way and totally "get it". But that will take up a lot of my time.

I'm pretty nervous about using my time wisely and really getting done everything that I need to do. I'm excited to see if I can do it, but hope that I don't get too stressed out.

Sitting in class last night was really fun. I didn't feel like I was almost 30 years old (but I wonder if I looked it). I had my pencil and notebook sitting on my desk and I awaited anxiously for class to start. I was surprised by the familiar feelings of wanting to be the teacher's pet, but having someone else beat me to it. I felt unprepared because some people already had the notes printed and the text book picked up, while I was still waiting for a syllabus. People asked so many smart questions and I wondered how they thought of such things. I raised my hand to ask why Occum's Razor was spelled "occum" when it was named after "Ockham". That is the extent of my brain power.

So everybody wish me luck. I plan to take a class or two for the next couple semesters. I'm looking forward to it, but know it will be a big adjustment.

4 comments:

granny said...

Good luck!! I actually went back to school this last year (I never quite finished) so I can identify with your feelings. Too bad I'm 100 years old instead of almost 30. Haha. Never too late, right? I've often thought your mom would be so proud of me. :) And I know she is proud of you, too!

Tasha said...

Very cool Tar. I hope to take some classes in the future like you, too. It is so weird to go from absorbing knowledge your whole life to suddenly "calling it good" and practically watching the brain cells float away. I suppose I should just be learning on my own, but there is nothing quite like a classroom setting for that. Good luck with the classes! Sorry someone beat you into being the teacher's pet. I'm sure you'll work your way up there soon enough. :)

Tanya Leigh said...

That's awesome. I can feel your anxiety ... I totally wonder that same thing about 'do I look almost 30?' lol. No way. :)

GOOD LUCK!

Tina said...

You are going to be amazing!! That's so great that you get FREE tuition! Lucky! What a perfect time to go back. Good luck!!