Saturday, May 29, 2010

The rumor is that we are real outdoors people


We haven't been hiking very much since we've had kids...I can probably count on one hand how many times. But we are starting to get more adventurous. I've often wondered how people with kids could go hiking. Now I'm glad to know it is possible. It does take a lot more work and more snacks, and more songs, and more balance on rocky trails, but it is possible.
We enjoyed a beautiful hike up Dry Canyon at the base of Mt. Timpanogos this Memorial weekend. I love Springtime when everything is green and the mountains are snowy and it feel like we live in Switzerland or something.
We spent time looking at some big owls in the trees and and dead birds on the ground, and listening for squirrels and wishing to see snakes.It was a beautiful day and I think we will have the venture out again soon.

3 comments:

Tina said...

These pictures are making me want to go hiking too. We've never tried anything like that before with the kids. We need to be more adventurous like you guys.

Brian Blumer said...

We decided this Great Horned Owl is an adolescent, because it's so light and fuzzy. But it was still huge. I walked over to the edge of a little ravine and saw one big owl fly out of the tree in front of me, and when I called over to Tara and the kids to come see, three more that I hadn't yet seen scattered from the same tree. We were able to see where two of them landed, including the one pictured here.

adriennep said...

What a gorgeous day! Perfect for a hike. I can't believe you caught that owl on camera. Really cool!