Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Adventures at Haigler Creek in Arizona

We spent our Pioneer Day holiday weekend enjoying the mountains of Arizona. The afternoon thunderstorms made the weather great. It was our first time visiting my dad at his new house in the middle of nowhere. Now he and Jana have been called to serve as full-time missionaries in the branch there for the next two years.

We went on a few different quad rides. Brian loves riding - he grew up on a dirt bike, but I get pretty nervous. I'd rather just ride behind him and hold on tight. We went on one ride with the kids all the way into "town". It took quite a while to get there. We stopped at the little country store and got a treat, got caught in the rain coming home, and stopped in the middle of the road to catch a real live tarantula. It was HUMONGOUS. We put it in the glove box of the four-wheeler and brought it back to show everyone. I'm sure he didn't like the ride.


My nephews Chas (from San Francisco) and Quincy (from San Marcos) were there visiting as well. We took them on a little hike around the cabin and got very lost. Luckily we found our way back, and hopefully none of the kids knew how nervous we were.


There were crawdads in the creek to catch. It was fun trying to catch them. We even cooked them up to taste. Verdict is that it is way too much work for the half a bite you get to eat.


The zipline was fun and very, very, very, fun. And I had a good time. I liked Grampa's house. And I liked the creek. And on the other side of the creek we found a good spot for catching crawdads. And then we cooked them. And then we ate them. I didn't eat one.
-From Paige


Remember we got stuck in the zipline. And then I didn't eat a crawdad. And then I ate pancakes. And then we goed home. We goed to church too. Then I went to the zipline after Paige. When I got stuck in the zipline, I didn't want to go again. But it was very fun.
-From Ashby

2 comments:

adriennep said...

You ATE it?? Well, I see neither of your kids did, ha ha! Did it taste like a mini lobster? I love the kids' comments. Sounds like a very fun weekend, except for the tarantula. That sounds horrifying. Zipline, yes, giant arachnids, no thanks! Also, getting caught in a thunderstorm is always awesome.

Tina said...

What a fun trip. Glad you were able to get away.
It reminded me of the good ol days of catching crawdads when I was younger visiting friends in California!!