Monday, July 19, 2010

Here's the thing about reading


I have never been a reader. In fact I have pretty much always said I hate reading. In elementary school my mom entered Tasha and me in "Battle of the Books" - which was a competition to read books from a long list and then answer trivia questions about them. For some reason I always came away with a trophy, but it didn't help me to like reading. In junior high my mom would bribe me to read - $20 per book. I think I took her up on that offer once. I read A Wrinkle in Time. I can't remember anything about it, but I remember I liked it at the time.

Reading was always a chore, because I only read the books I had to for school. And then it was annoying because we had to dissect and analyze everything. Why couldn't the author have just written it because he/she thought it was a good story? Why did everything have to have some hidden meaning to it? I was pretty sure the teacher was making up everything anyway.

I have always felt bad about not liking to read.
As an adult I've tried reading things that would be valuable - religious, classic, biographical, educational - but it takes me so long to get through anything that I usually give up. My eyes get blurry and I get lost on the page and it feels like I re-read the same paragraph over and over before I comprehend it.

The past couple of weeks I have started reading the Hunger Games books. They are so good and I've never had such a hard time putting a book down. But I still can't decide if reading is just a waste of time.

The difference between T.V. and reading:

- A movie will tell me the whole story in a couple of hours.
- I can wash the dishes or exercise or something while watching T.V.
- With a book I give up two weeks of my life, but with T.V. I give up 2 hours.
- Although with reading you use your imagination more. It has been kind of fun to get caught up in the world of Katniss and Peeta, I find myself thinking about them all day and I wonder who Katniss will choose and it makes me happy to know that I chose Brian.

Throughout the day, while doing other things, I just sigh - wondering how it's going to end, and mad that I can't read right then - I'm pretty cranky about it. And it's frustrating knowing that even once I finish the book I still won't really know how the story ends until the third book comes out.
Brian knows that reading anything is a big deal for me to accomplish. So I'm glad that when I say, "Wow I read 150 pages today," he is proud of me and doesn't point out the dirty dishes or growing laundry. I guess I beat myself up about that enough.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I hear ya about that whole subject!! Although I love to read, it always causes more of a problem than it should. I get to where I can't put a book down and my whole family suffers. I end up taking a whole day or two to read a book all the way through and absolutely nothing gets done. And if it's a series, ugh I just gotta finish the whole thing. By the time I'm done, I can't find my starving children amongst all the piled mess.
I'm totally with you on the movie deal. Less time and whole story all together, and if I'm going to buy one or the other chances are the book is going to cost more. New book 7ish -30 dollars(unless it's from DI then maybe 1-2 dollars, but I can't buy what I want when I want.) New movie= 3ish to 20 (used movies are the best! We love FYE! and wal-mart for the new ones, cheapest the first week they come out)

Tasha said...

oh boy, I love the Hunger Games! I can't wait till the next one comes out. That is definitely a good series to get your reacquainted with fun reading (or maybe acquainted for the first time). I've just recently started to like reading as well (probably because I enjoy an excuse to neglect the things that I should be doing). But I've told myself I can only read one book a month (usually whatever our book club is doing that month), and that is it. I am a total grump to my kids while I am reading, and they don't deserve more than a few days of that. Speaking of books for the month, "North and South" here I come! :)

Emily said...

I used to have a goal to read a book a day. Can you believe that? Now I have to bargain with myself: I can read a chapter after I do a chore. Too bad now I'm too tired after I do my chores!

I loved Hunger Games too- I think she'll end up with the other guy, not Peeta.

Tanya Leigh said...

OOOOOOH, yes. I am completely with you there, Tar. I got into the Twilight books and it was the same deal. -- Right now I'm on an American history kick and so it's not so much getting lost & obsessed with a plot as I just can't WAIT to get a minute to find out MORE!

I love books. I was never a big reader growing up. Now my favorite store is a book store. I LOVE the smell of books, I love the FEEL of books, I love the treasures inside classic books. :)

ps. I think I still have your copy of Ender's Game somewhere!