Friday, September 10, 2010

Rumor is I'm a runner

This week I started to run willingly.

It is definitely not my preferred method of exercise. Pretty much everything trumps it. I don't know why I got the urge - probably the perfect fall weather.

I have always been a sprinter, and I hate running long distances. In 9th grade I was on the track and softball teams and their seasons corresponded. I was so grateful that I was allowed to race in the meets, but keep practicing with the softball team, so I didn't have to do all the long distance conditioning.

Unfortunately, I think this week I will also stop running willingly. My shin splints are extremely painful and everyone says the only thing I can do to help them is stay off of them. I will however keep playing softball, that's running that is worth the pain.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Hey! I've learned from some runners at the track that there are some exercises you can do to help shin splints - walk only on your heels w/o bending your knees, and then walk on your toes. Also, getting different shoes might help you as well. Shawn says that there is a kind of brace you can get that will help to stabilize the muscles without further damaging them. But from everything we've heard, as you keep strengthening the muscles the pain will subside. Shin splints are a real pain! Sorry you're dealing with them - don't quit, it will get better! Unless you really want to quit . . . then that's different.

Brian Blumer said...

I'm with Lisa - don't give up! I miss running. Answering the call of a beautiful fall day is where it all begins. I'll help/support you as much as I can, for sure!

Tara said...

Maybe I'll try the support socks I used to wear in high school. Similar similar job as athletic tape, but also a lot cheaper than the fancy shin braces.

Lisa said...

I found that the pain was worse when I initially started running, but that throughout my run I started feeling better (though sometimes going around the track I could probably be heard saying "ouch. ouch. ouch." Those exercises (walking on the heel w/o bending the toe) really helped me, too. I'd go once around the track doing just that (50 steps on heels, then 50 steps on toes). Shawn used to also ice his shins for 15 minutes after he got home. I never could stand it for very long, myself. I'll bet it helped to have a good surface to run on, too. Now I run on the asphalt when I can - still better than concrete sidewalks - but I started on that soft track and that probably was a more gentle way to get started running.

Darla said...

Hey, we probably started running at the same time. I ran 8 days in a row (minus Sunday)! My arch on my left foot has started really hurting, though, so I've had to stop. I ordered arch supports that should come any time and then I'm out at it again. Don't give up. You are only getting older...