Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Preschool Letter U

We had a successful day of preschool. And I think the kids had fun.

For show-and-tell the kids brought: Umbrella, Utah picture, Unicorn horn and a fireman Uniform.

I brought a Ukulele. I borrowed it from my sister-in-law last night and quickly learned how to play a song on it so I could show the kids. I learned "The Wheels on the Bus" and sang it through several times while the kids picked different things on the bus. Luckily that song only had two chords, so it was easy enough, but I sounded like a pro. ;)

Everyone got to make their own Ukuleles. This was a fun project..

I got pencil box sized boxes at the post office (if you get the flat rate boxes, they are free until you send something in them!)

I cut a hole in them with a razor blade, stuck a ruler in the top and duct taped it down inside. This was all done the night before.

The kids took q-tips and covered the outside with glue to decorate with tissue paper. I originally thought they would paint them, but this saved a lot of drying time, and they still get to feel like they're painting with the glue. It worked really well, even the littlest ones could figure it out. After the glue was dry, they decorated it more with all kinds of stickers. Kids loooove doing stickers, so that was a total win. Then I put 4 rubberbands of different sizes around the box and a crayon for the bridge.



I was so pleased with how it all turned out, and the kids jammed to some ukulele songs on the computer.












We played a game called "Up".
Everyone had a balloon and the object was to keep it up in the air as long as they could.












After practicing writing and coloring, we played an indoor game of horseshoes.














Snack time: Umbrella shaped apples, with pretzel handles and raincloud wheat bread.













We learned the story of the Ugly Duckling and spent the remainder of the time in front of the computer making "Ugly" faces.

Aren't they cute?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

We love the ukulele! Kate and I each have one and we just got home a few minutes ago from Ukulele Club at the elementary school. I love the little ones you made. Brilliant!

Oh, and knowing those two chords you can play about a dozen children's songs. I take mine to church every week and use it in Nursery!

Deanna said...

Chelsy got one for Christmas. Being as she's going to Hawaii and all. I think yours are cuter!!!

Tara said...

Did I know she was going to Hawaii, as in BYU-H? Why does this not sound familiar? What's the scoop?