Wednesday, April 17, 2013

My Personal Progess

Tonight I received my Young Womanhood Recognition award!

I completed my personal progress requirements last September, but tonight I finally got the medallion to go with it. :)

As a youth I received my medallion, but never felt like I really earned it. I did it because I was supposed to do it, and I would procrastinate the goals until the last minute and pick and choose the very easiest things to do. I did personal progress because my parents expected me to do it.

This time I wanted to do it right. I wanted to do it for me. I wanted to feel the power that came from the personal progress program.

Young women leaders are not required to complete the same goals that the girls have to to finish. But I decided to do all the goals and projects that the young women do because I wanted to, and I knew it would be good for me.

It took me 5 years. Some years were easy to focus and stay motivated, and some years were not so easy. Those goals that say to do something for two-weeks or so were killer. I felt like I was constantly starting over because I was always forgetting.

I loved the 10 hour projects. They were the best. I loved figuring out what would be good for me to do and tailoring the projects to my needs and my family.

My favorite project was learning how to make home-made bread and then providing the bread for the sacrament each week for a couple of months. Man! That was some good sacrament bread! (I miss it).

Another favorite project was learning to play the harmonica so I could take it girls camp. Its such a fun skill to know. I hope to continue to get better at it.

The personal progress program is indeed powerful. I love it! I feel so privileged to have taken part in it. I love how it makes you get out of your comfort zone and try new things. I love how it builds confidence.

I love how it lets you make and reach good goals. I love how it makes you find ways to learn to love yourself.  I love how it increases your testimony. I love how it brings you closer to your Savior and Heavenly Father.

As I look through my personal progress book, I see some of the things I've done and realize - its been a long time, I need to do it all again!

4 comments:

Tasha said...

So so cool Tara! This makes me want to work in the Young Women's program. And you look absolutely beautiful too!

Emily said...

Awesome! I feel the same way... didn't really "get it" the first time around. They should come up with a R.S. personal progress program...

Brian Blumer said...

Tara's the best - the best by far!
She smokes my butt like a cheap cigar!


Also, doesn't she look simply smashing?!?

Tina said...

Yes indeed Brian!! Smashing!! :) Congrats Tara. That's awesome. I did it too and got mine last year. It's an amazing feeling and accomplishment. Way to go!!!