Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Rumor is I don't know

How is it that I'm supposed to know all the answers?

Many times a day my kids will come up and ask me something. My usual response is, "I don't know."

But its not like they are asking me what the square root of pi is, or about the Egyptian mummies - they merely want to know if they can have another snack, or play on the computer.

These are questions I should probably be able to answer, yet I just don't know.

How much is too much? When is avoiding a fight reasonable justification? What are my other options?

These are things experienced moms know.

Which is why I often end up replying, "I don't care", and my daughter jumps around the house exclaiming, "Mommy doesn't care! Mommy doesn't care!"

7 comments:

Unknown said...

If Daddy is home it's a game of chicken waiting to see if the Other Parent will answer first and thereby take the responsibility of said answer upon themselves.

The Wizzle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Wizzle said...

Oh, gosh, isn't it the truth? My kids have an absolutely infuriating knack for all harping on me at once asking for something that doesn't need asking for (like "Mom can I have some milk too, pleasepleasepleaseplease!!!!" when I am clearly going around the table pouring milk and will get to their cup in a just-a-dadgum-second) but when there's something they SHOULD ask for ("Mom, could you please get the shampoo off the shelf in the shower so I can wash my hair like you asked me instead of just standing here under the running water for 20 minutes while you put the girls to bed?") I hear nary a word.

Very, very strange.

Tanya Leigh said...

Oh, man. It's the truth! *and Rachel's story is too!!* It's funny, because I just started noticing I use "I don't know" a lot more frequently these days. Ugh.

Emily said...

Nobody really knows. We all just fake it, don't we?

Gayla said...

Tara, I love this post. Clint, Tori and Porter have started prefacing their questions with, "Mom, it is just a simple yes or no question. I'm fine either way. Can I . . ." It is wonderful when they do that. Julie always asks what I mean when I say "maybe" or "possibly".
Love this post!!

Gayla said...

Tara, I love this post. Clint, Tori and Porter have started prefacing their questions with, "Mom, it is just a simple yes or no question. I'm fine either way. Can I . . ." It is wonderful when they do that. Julie always asks what I mean when I say "maybe" or "possibly".
Love this post!!