Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A Day at the Races

Last weekend we followed Brian up to Soldier Hollow in Midway, UT to watch him race in an I-Cup mountain biking race. These races are something he is just getting into, but mountain biking is his hobby, so its fun for him to have another outlet to ride.

I was nervous about this day outing just because I wasn't sure how the kids would behave, especially since they went to bed really late the night before and we woke them up really early to drive up the canyon. Plus, I am one who is very adamant about naptime - that's what my day revolves around.
I was just so pleased with how it all turned out. The kids did great! I didn't even have to use my secret weapons (iPod and bottle). I packed a huge picnic lunch, so we were set with food and we had such an enjoyable time playing at the playground and cheering for Daddy - he actually got 4th place in his division! We explored Midway a little bit, took in the beauty of the countryside and watched a big storm move across the valley from atop Veterans Hill.


I am glad to know that we can do it! We can have fun as a family, go on adventures, and actually survive. But it seems like every time we reach this point of freedom - freedom from schedules and crying and whining - we have a new baby. Then we are tied down for another period of time. I guess we better enjoy this summer of freedom!

4 comments:

The Wizzle said...

Yeah, I definitely know what you mean about naptime and starting over with each new baby! It's hard. It's only a couple of years, though...unless you do it again! :)

Anonymous said...

Missed you at the race. Hopefully I will see you at the next one. Soldier Hollow is great to take the kids to because of the playground, and if you go on top of the tower you can see the entire race--at least this upcoming one you can. I am not sure how it panned out last week.

Kendra

Gayla said...

Tara- I'm so proud of you and very impressed! Sometimes you just have to skip naptime schedules. Glad that worked out. You are a great mother and wife. And way to go Brian!

Olivia Justine said...

i second gayla's comments! i've been VERY impressed with how active you remain even pregnant. way to go! we all know that's a hard thing to do.

and way to go brian!