Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Hills are Alive


I just got home from a 3 hour long play audition with Paige. It was call-backs for The Sound of Music. We found out about the auditions and I thought it would be so fun to give Paige a new experience, (especially since she didn't really understand how it all worked - when we left for the first audition she told Ashby to look for her on t.v.). She tried out for the role of Gretl, of course (I know, weird way to spell it, but it's true). Heaven knows Paige has enough energy and dramatic flare to be in theatre, but I was a bit worried about her singing. Tonight was filled with lots of singing rehearsal, simple choreography, and script reading. The singing was pretty boring for Paige since she didn't need to learn any of the harmonies, and unfortunately she was in and out of her seat and not paying attention. I was pretty frustrated, because it's hard to explain to a kindergartner that she is being watched and judged on every little thing she does. Paige loved the dancing and sliding across the stage and trying to figure out how to do a jazz square. She also did a great job saying her lines and acting out her part. It was a really fun and successful evening, and we watched the crowd of candidates diminish. The part of Gretl was down to just two little girls. Unfortunately Paige did not get it. She was quite disappointed, which helped me realize she understood a lot more about it than I thought she did. But Paige did amazing! She even went and said congratulations to the other little girl without any coaxing from me. She said thank you to the directors and good luck to all the other cast members. Wow!

I'm so glad Paige got to have this experience. I will admit, I was getting pretty excited as the night was drawing to a close - but I had to give myself a reality check, too. What are the chances Paige would be cast in the very first play she ever auditioned for, and really after only seeing 3 or 4 plays at all?

It was fun to work with Paige throughout the week on learning and memorizing songs and parts. I tried to keep it laid back so it would be a non-stressful experience for her, but part of me just really wanted her to work hard, pay attention and do it right! It made me think and wonder about my own mom when I was growing up and doing plays. That's really a lot of work for a mom. Hopefully some day Paige will get to be cast in a play and make great memories. This learning experience will definitely send her in the right direction.

6 comments:

The Wizzle said...

That's so cool. I really want to get Devlin going in some things like this (the boy loves to be on stage!) but it's really hard to fit it into *my* schedule!

I'm sure she did great, and I can't wait to hear about how the next audition goes!

Tasha said...

What a great experience Tar. And very exciting that she made it to the final two. That other little girl must have been something pretty spectacular to beat out Paige.

Tasha said...

oh, I guess me and the Wizzle are blog hopping at the same time :)

Emily said...

Wow! Paige is really amazing. I was hoping she got the part- we would all love to come cheer her on.

Emily said...

I'm still sad about this. The hills are dead to me.

Gayla said...

Paige that is fabulous! Way to go. You are lucky to have a mommy that is such a good coach. If you keep listening to her you will get to be on stage soon.
I'm proud of you Tara for giving Paige that opportunity.